Friday, December 20, 2013

It Looks Bad! Ban It!

"Because many of the e-cigarettes are designed to look like cigarettes and be used just like them, they can lead to confusion or confrontation." - City Council Speaker Christine Quinn
That's right people. We need to ban anything that looks like cigarettes, so watch out. Next, they will be banning those bubblegum cigarettes that I used to puff on when I was a kid. You remember, the ones "when you blow on them, powder comes out looking like smoke."

It seems that Mayor Bloomberg has never met a ban that he didn't like. So the nanny-state of liberal collectivism continues in one of the world's biggest cities. It's sad that NYC legislators are spending precious time banning things that have no proven negative impact on anyone.

Ironically, the Journal of the National Cancer Institute just released a study saying that there is "No Clear Link Between Passive Smoking and Lung Cancer." So, even the reason for banning actual cigarettes in public places has been proven to have zero scientific merits. But remember, we aren't dealing with science and logic. This is collectivism where perception is the reality. So because secondhand smoke is a nuisance, it must be banned.

Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that there is no smoking in bar and clubs. I got tired of going home smelling as if I smoked a pack of Lucky Strikes! But I just assumed that was the risk of going out to party. Also, there were ways to avoid it. I believe in logic, freedom, science and individual responsibility. Collectivists don't. So, look out for the next ban coming your way, a ban on tweeting in public. Yes, I know it sounds silly and the linked article says there isn't a ban, but not from lack of trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment