Monday, October 7, 2013

What's In A Name? A Lot Shakespeare!

'Tis but thy name that is my enemy; thou art thyself, though not a Montague. What's Montague? It is nor hand, nor foot, Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part belonging to a man. O, be some other name! What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
Obama recently gave his opinion on the Washington Redskins suggested name change. I'm sure you know what he thinks, but what do I think? I totally agree. Coincidentally, my high school's sports mascot used to be the Rickards Redskins! It was changed in 2000 because of its racial overtone. It is now the Rickards Raiders.

If it had been the Rickards Niggers or Rickards Spear Chuckers it would have been changed long before that in my opinion. Washington will change their mascot eventually. They should have changed it a long time ago. Besides, I'm a Dallas Cowboys fan and have always disliked the Washington team, division rivals that they are. So there's that as well.

By the way, I've never liked how people use the phrase "the n-word" or "the c-word" for that matter. Not saying the word just gives it more power. It's just a word. What matters is the meaning the word implies.

No comments:

Post a Comment